Smashed Peaches

Drug Research Studies

Water Edge folk protest telco tower construction – The Borneo Post

Residents hold up banners and placards to oppose the construction of a telco tower in Water Edge, Stapok. — Photo by Winter Chai

KUCHING: Residents of Water Edge, Stapok here are objecting to the construction of a telecommunication tower in their residential area.

They staged a protest yesterday at the site where construction commenced before the start of Hari Raya Aidilfitri early this month.

The Water Edge residential area is located across the street where Chung Hua Primary School (CHPS) No.6 is.

Residents held up banners and placards, expressing their dismay at the telco tower’s construction during the protest, witnessed by former Batu Kawa assemblywoman Christina Chiew.

They are demanding that the relevant authorities issue an immediate stop work order on the construction.

Speaking to reporters at the site, Chiew said she was personally against the idea of erecting a telco tower within the vicinity of residential areas and schools.

The Democratic Action Party (DAP) leader said she could not help but wonder why no proper study was carried out prior to the construction of the tower.

“What I want to say is that they (authorities) should look into whether it is appropriate to construct a telco tower here. Such construction should not be done as they like, compromising the safety and health of the residents.”

Chiew said some residents had complained to her about the construction works, saying that they had not been informed of the project.

She added that they were concerned about health issues, fearing that the radioactivity emitted from a telco tower might lead to cancer in the long-run.

She also challenged the authorities concerned to provide data to prove that there
is a dire need to erect the tower there. She said an appeal was made to the Sarawak Multimedia Authority (SMA) a couple of days ago, requesting that the tower construction be called off indefinitely.

According to her, SMA has responded to the appeal in a positive manner, and that a letter will be delivered to the contractor to cease the construction.

Chiew believes that SMA would issue the letter by today (Monday) in line with the earnest wishes of the residents.

LONDON: Several hopefuls vying to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May turned their fire on favourite Boris Johnson yesterday, questioning his pledge to leave the European Union by the end of October no matter what.

With former London mayor and foreign minister Johnson keeping a low profile, the other candidates have targeted the air waves to try to present their cases to lead the governing Conservative Party. But the question always returns to “Boris”.

The free publicity has done little so far to hurt Johnson, who unlike many politicians is better know by his first name Boris. He secured a large lead in the first round of voting and his team hopes for an increased share this week in the second.

But now the gloves are off. Candidate after candidate on Sunday questioned his ability to navigate Britain’s departure from the EU, saying his pledge to leave on Oct. 31 was nigh on impossible and would set Britain on track for a no deal Brexit.

“The difference between me and Boris is that I would try for a deal,” said foreign minister Jeremy Hunt, who is running in second place.

“I am not going to create a set of circumstances that makes it all but impossible to get a deal because I think we should be offering the country some better choices,” he told the BBC Andrew Marr Show, adding that he was the only “alternative”.

One of Hunt’s supporters, work and pensions minister Amber Rudd, went further, making a thinly veiled criticism of what she described as some candidates “do or die approach” to Brexit without “considering the consequences to people’s jobs”.  – AFP